Using the custom sign-up fields allow you to collect additional details from your students when they sign up for an EdReady account. This information is stored in EdReady, available for viewing as an Admin, and can be included in emailed/ downloaded reports.
To start using these fields, click the Activate dialog to add custom sign-up fields checkbox.
You will see a “Notice!” pop-up, with additional details about using these fields. Please read the enclosed details and, if you agree, scroll to the bottom and click I Understand.
The display of the General Info tab will update:
To define a custom field, provide the following details:
- Custom Field Label: this is the name for this field. It is visible to students upon sign-up and will be the label for this information in the reports
- Custom Field Type: if students will be providing a date, select “Date” here; otherwise, select “String” to allow free text entry (including numbers).
- Custom Field Pattern (Optional): if you selected “String” as the Field Type, you can optionally determine if there should be any extra validation on the information entered. For example, should students be entering a 6-digit Student ID? An alternate email address? By using a validation code, you can potentially reduce the number of input errors in the data.
- See this help center article for details on using the Custom Field Pattern, but we strongly suggest you reach out to your Implementation Specialist for additional guidance when using this field.
- Custom Field Error Message: if the student’s entry does not match your validation code, the message you put here will be displayed. It should clarify exactly what form of entry is expected. This field is required if you use a validation code.
- Active Custom Field: when true, students will see this field upon sign-up. However, the field will be optional unless you check the “Required Custom Field” box (see below).
- If there are data stored for a field, even if this field is now inactive, it will be visible as an Administrator (when editing a student) and in the emailed reports
- Required Custom Field: when true, students must complete this field in order to finish the registration process.
Use the Test My Pattern button to double-check your validation code and the error messaging.
Once you have filled out these fields, click the Add custom sign-up field button to save your new field in the list of additional fields. You must click on the Save Changes button at the bottom of the page to publish these fields (or any changes you made) for students signing up to your site.
The details for your field will be displayed in the on-screen table:
If you need to make changes or remove this field, click the associated link in the Actions column. Note: once a field has been used by students, you will no longer be able to delete it.